Question
Posted by: Lize | 2012/09/20

Childhood Memories

I can''t remember much of my childhood. Actually almost nothing. Is there any particular reason why this happens? My sister can remember almost everything in detail.
I know I have the ability (probably just a learned ability) to completely close off things I''m done with - eg. divorce, rape. It doesn''t bother me, and I don''t bother going back the whole time revisiting details of it.
Just lately it started to bug me that I can''t remember everything I would like to - most probably since two of my grandparents recently died.

No particular reason. ALl normal people remember FAR les of their childhood than they expect. In the earliest years, we can't remember anything, or very very little, because our brain's capacity for forming and keeping memories hasn't yet developed fully.
Your sister is probably partly faking it ( if you can't remember, how do you know she isn't making some of this up ? ) and partyl remembering what she has been told by older people, and mistaking these for her own original memories.
If your grandparents have recently died, presumably there will be much you remember about them in recent years, and normally there'd be little from the earliest years. Sometimes if one discovers really old family photographs, these may remind you of some of the early events, but some remain an eternal puzzled. ( Who IS that odd-looking women holding me in those pictures from 19XX ? )

1