Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2011/01/20

Childhood

If I look back at my past it feels or seems like one big mystery...? There are so little that I can remember from my childhood...

I am constantly on a mission to find my inner self, could this because of my uncertainty about my past. I know in a way these questions sounds stupid, but I am constantly battling with low self esteem and confidence and always trying to find out who I am. I am not currently on a medical aid that wil cover a " shrink..."  life feels wasted to me as I spend so much time trying to better myself.

Various psychobabblers and quacks have created false expectations in this area - leading some of us to believe inaccurately that we ought to be able to remember most of our past, when memory is necessarily patchy, and in our earliest years we don't yet have the capacity to form acessible memories.
They also foster a false belief that one has to dig deeply, internally, into one's past, to discover who one is or indeed to solve any problems one has encountered.
Fortunately they are wrong, and should be ignored.
Matters of low self-esteem and lack of confidence can be rather well dealt with by counselling, especially of the CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) format. Maybe the Anciety-Depression Support Group can help you find some meetings near you, and also to explore possible counselling at low cost at a nearby medical school of psychology training unit.
Similarly, you can undoubtedly better yourself, if you can form clear plans that identify where betterment is needed, and how to achieve that. It will NOT be achieved by endless navel gazing in despair - that is simply a waste of time and energy.

2
Posted by: Romany | 2011/01/20

Mybe make peace with who you are? Love yourself the way you are?
Even if you, by some miricle, remember the past, what are you going to do about it? The past is in the past....
Live for today and live for tomorrow.
Who says you need to be " better" ? Maybe you are great already?

Reply to Romany