Question
Posted by: Sue | 2011-04-20

Child with infected toe

My daughter is 10, and has a badly infected big toe - its around the side ofthe nail, the whole toe is swollen and sore, and the side is a red/purle colour. i assume its from an infected in grown toe nail? Can I treat this at home, or do I need to take her to the doctor?

many thanks

Hallo Sue
If it made a yellow area in the flesh next to the nail it may have formed an abcess and may need draining and then you need to take her to your doctor. If not, you can treat with Bactroban ointment on the red and swollen area. It could be due to an ingrown toe nail but usually we won't cut out the nail while there is acute infection (it is too painful anyway) Take her to your doctor after the infection cleared to see if the ingrown nail needs removal.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-04-20

Hallo Sue