Question
Posted by: Adel | 2009/12/18

Child vs sleeping

my sisters boy is now 3 and a half years old. She always try to keep him on his routine. However we are currently recovering from a very difficult week. He will go to bed at about 8:00pm. Then he will " wake up"  during the night. He acts like he is awake however clearly still asleep. he will not respond at all if you talk to him and touching him agrivates him. He will be throughing the pillow, crying, fighting ect. Sometimes with his eyes half open however does not look like he even see you. sometimes it will take the whole night to get him to be peacefull. and if he lies down he will continue to moan, cry and move around alot. Nothing new happended in his life. He is very happy before he goes to bed and even when he wakes up in the morning he is in a good relaxed mood. his teachers at the school also say that he is very peacefull at school. He is also in a hurry when it is time to go to school. So I do not see that the problem is at school. His mom and father is divorced before he was a year old. He does not go to his father for visits or sleep overs. Please advice.

Hard to know exactly what is happening here, without a proper examination and in-person assessment, so it would probably be helpful to take him to see a good local child shrink or paediatrician.
I'm trying to understand what you are describing. If he wakes during the night, how is it that his state is noticed ? are they checking on him frequently ? If he appears to be asleep, why are people talking to him or touching him ? Is he perhaps sleep-walking, or something like that? If he goes to sleep happy, and wakes in the morning happy - what is it about the middle of the night episodes that has attracted attention ? What happens if he is just left in bed to go back to sleep again ?

1