Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2010-09-16

Child Thief - Please help very urgently.

I have a serious problem with my 12 year old son, he steals money from neighbours, cellphone from friends and relatives. The other day he stole shoes from a shopping mall. I spoke to him and explained to him that it was wrong but now its worse and i dont know what to do anymore.

I am in Pretoria and i would really appreciate help ora referral regarding this matter.

Sorry to hear about this, Leane, must be really alarming for you. Surely at 12 he already knows that stealing things is wrong, and that it will get him into trouble. Are there possibly other problems in his life, troubling him, such that he feels attracting negaive attention in this way might sound the alarms for him ? I'm not able to recommend specific shrinks ( imagine the fuss from the others ! ) but your GP, the school, or your local FAMSA should be able to advise - I know there are some child and adolescent oriented psychiatrist in Pretoria.

6
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-09-27

This is beyond the point where simple tricks will change the behaviour. Do as Cybershrink says and let a professional handle the matter. There is a real danger that you might make things worse if you employ the wrong strategy.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Leanne | 2010-09-17

Thank you all so much for all the help and advicess, they are much appreciated. God bless you all.

Reply to Leanne
Posted by: me | 2010-09-16

Maybe tell your child that if he steals from anyone again you will take him to the police station (scare tactic). If he steals from a shop take him back to the shop and let him tell the shop manager what he did ... this im sure will make him think

Reply to me
Posted by: child thief | 2010-09-16

sorry forgot to mention, that the shrink told my parents that stealing was a quick fix for the love I was longing for

Reply to child thief
Posted by: child thief | 2010-09-16

I was also a child thief at 7 years old, I stole money from parents and neighbors , jewelry and stationery from cna and sweets from anywhere and everywhere ect ect. I was sent to a shrink that at the time looked like my idea of the devil ( a male) I am female, I sat there for an hour and refused to speak to him, they gave me some games to play, . The end result was and i quote "  she feels like she doesnot belong to the family, she feels like she''s on the outside looking in, does not feel part of the family. " 

The shrink told my parents its their fault and that he wanted to councel both of them to help them to help me. I am the eldest of three daughters no brothers. I am now 46, I am bi-polar, no-one knew that when I was a kid, and I suffer from panic attacks, no-one knew that iether when I was a kid, I used to sit WIDE awake what felt like in the middle of the night with the whole household asleep and I felt very very alone and scared. I was not allowed to go to my parents after i had beeen told to go to bed. I used tell my mother I could feel the devel in my bedrrom, as that was the only wqay I could describe the panic attacks, and of course I was told I was talking rubbish. I also thought that my father was watching me with a sexual look in his eye when I was a teenager, my mother told me again, I''m talking rubbish, i tried to kill myself twice at 14, was sexually promiscuous looking for love in all the wrong places by 15, was a single pregnant teenager by 18, I self medicate at the moment with dagga and alcohol and tranquilizers, i still get suscidal but dont act on it, i tried anti depressants once and nearly REALY went insane so I threw them away, I have''nt ever been for councelling as I dont think anyone realy cares anyway.

Dont know if any of this helps you, feel free to ask me anything else, i might be able to give you some insight into your littel boys life

Reply to child thief