Posted by: Angie | 2008-11-10

Child that bite

Dear Doc
a friend' s daughter- grade 2 in a school for children with learning difficulties, bites a specific child regularly at school. She targets the child without any provocation and bites her so that you can see deep teeth marks. My friend is at her wits end as the school placed the child on probation and might ask her to leave the school at any time. The psychs at the school have been doing behaviour modification with the child, but just when we think that things are soretd, an incident occurs. Also, the child will come to hug a person, but out of the blue, like Jeckyll and Hyde, she will suddenly hit or kick you, or start swearing at you. Please help!

I wondr why she focusses on this one specific child. General degrees of hostility or aggression can occur for various reasons, b ut there would be some extra reason why aggression would be focussed on a particular other child. Can't the school advise, and perhaps simp,y keep them apart for the time being ? If there are psyc's at the school, and working on behaviour modification, they ought to be able to solve this problem, and putting a child "on probation" because the psych's have so far failed to handle the situation, seems unfair. I understand your feelings of alarm, but this really has to be discussed in detail with the psych's who have the advantage of both knowledge and experience, and of having examined the child in detail.

Posted by: Angie | 2008-11-10

Thank you so much for your responses. I do appreciate it. Thank you also for the number of the support group. It is much appreciated.

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Mom | 2008-11-10

ALL kids bite, not just ones with special needs.

I too bite my kids back any their little biting habits stopped on the spot. You don' t leave marks or hurt the child but show them how mean and nasty that action is.

Again for the hitting and kicking, Try the same thing. You get kicked, do it back with restraint. Don' t hurt the child but show its not nice and it doesn' t feel good being on the receiving end, Tell them what could happen if their " victim"  fell. They could end up in hospital and very badly hurt. Consequences of their actions is also sometimes enough to stop them.

My kids luckily stopped that naughty behavior quickly.

Reply to Mom
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008-11-10

My disabled daughter bit me twice..and im sorry to say that psychs can say what they want to and try behaviour modification as much as they like ONLY ONE THING child was also bitten by a child at school and she kept on doing it until i told the teacher one day WHATEVER you are doing IT AINT WORKING so let me tell you what i did and i suggest YOU do it because if you don' t and my child comes home again with a bite mark I WILL COME TO THE SCHOOL AND I WILL BITE THIS CHILD!

Somehow this child never did byte Ne again......when Ne bit me the 2nd time i took her arm and bit her back and she has to this day never bitten anyone again...

The kicking and hitting is another story he/she is acting up to get attention - many times with these type of kids its the only way they can express something - its extremely hard for them because they can usually not communicate well.

In which town are they living? We have a support group for Mothers with Disabled children and our next meeting is on Saturday - and it really helps to understand a lot - im also still trying to understand a lot of behaviour - so im no expert...hope some of what I said makes sence.

Support Group is in Johannesburg you can call Verena on 0827833480 or 011 9132412

Reply to CP MOM