Question
Posted by: Liesel | 2010-06-25

Child - stress

My daughter of 6 yrs could be suffering from Da Costa''''s syndrome... brought on by stress. How can a 6yr old suffer from stress?

Da Costa syndrome is a quaintly old-fashioned diagnosis, and I rather wonder who made it. It was also called "soldier's heart" and descibed during the American Civil War back in the 1860's ! It is of no value for prognosis or treatment to use this now obsolete term.
Nowadays this combination of symptoms of heart-type disease with nothing actually wrong with the heart would possibly be considered a somatoform disorder, but generally simply one of many potential manifestations of an anxiety disorder.
And though it isn't often recognized, children can indeed develop anxiety disorders, showing themselves in serval ways, not not necessary related to stress as such. And many peoople find aspects of school life, or life in some families, to be definitely stressful.

1