Question
Posted by: Jacqueline | 2010/04/12

child psychology - advice

I am very concerned about a child within my spouse''s family. The child is 27 months old, and is a sweet little girl, but I worry that due to the environment she is being raised in, she is being left behind. I don''t think she has the best home environment (I have heard from various sources - although don''t personally know the situation). When the child was about 23 months she was saying words and repeating words and doing very well. She was on par with a family friends'' daughter who is 2 days younger. Since then, the child seems to have regressed, does not make eye contact when spoken to and does not acknowledge that she is being spoken to. Our friend''s daughter can say full sentences and makes perfect sense, wheres this little girl can''t string two words together. Is this regression due to what could be happening at home? I am very concerned. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The only reliable way to assess such a situation would be for the child to see a good child psychologist, or maybe better to start with a paediatrician.
Close comparisons with another child isn't the best way to assess her progress, but it's fair to say that if she broadly matched the other child, and then fell conspicuously behind, there might be some grounds for concern.
A common and often overlooked reason for the situation you describe is not a psychological problem, but a child who is deaf or hard-of-hearing, who doesn;t hear what is said to her, obviously limiting her capacity to learn, without special care, and reducing her abolity to respond to others socially.

1