Question
Posted by: MoM | 2010-04-20

CHILD OCD/ADD MEDS.PLS HELP

HI, MY 10YR OLD SON IS ON CITALOPRAM, (20 MG) FOR SEVERE ANXIETY &  OCD. HE IS HAVING BEHAVIOURAL PROBLEMS AND WE NOW TRIED RITALIN 20MG ON SATURDAY. HE CHEWED HIS JAW AND WOULDNT SLEEP THAT NIGHT WAS TOO SCARED, WE ARE GOING TO TRY RITALIN 10MG THIS SATURDAY AGAIN WHERE I CAN WATCH HIS REACTION. DOES RITALIN HAVE A BAD EFFECT ON ANXIOUS/OCD PEOPLE OR IS THIS NORMAL SIDE EFFECT THAT WILL GO WITH TIME? HE HATES TAKING THE PILLS BUT CAN''T MANAGE SCHOOL WITHOUT. ANY SUGGENSTIONS? OR ANYONE WITH A YOUNG CHILD WITH SUCH SEVERE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS. I FEEL THAT IT IS SO UNUSUAL FOR SUCH A YOUNG CHILD TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS.

Please be careful -typing ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS counds as shouting, online, and is very difficult for others to read.
I hope your boy is being assessed and treated by a fully trained CHild Psychiatrist, as such drugs should not be lightly used in kids except by the appropriate specialist. Especially if it is to be combined with Ritalin - I have seen no research or even good clinical reports on such a combination in anyone let alone in children. It would actually be iresponsible for anyone other than an experienced child psychiatrist to try such a combination.
Your words hint that you may have aded the Ritalin to the Cipralex on your own, rather than on the advice of a psychiatrist, and if so, this is dangerous and you should stop promptly.
If he is under the treatment fo the right specialist, inform the doc of the reactiosn you notived, and get him to take proper responsibility for monitoring the effects of this unusual combination

6
Posted by: MoM | 2010-04-21

to anon: I am a single mother, no support. Alone in SA, struggling financially, no proper medical aid and no money or time away from work for CBT. So yes, I would love to spend all the time in the world with him, but we would land up living on the streets. He was not coping at school. The teachers wanted him out of his school. Some of us are in survival mode, not in success mode with time and money to spare. I myself suffer from depression and have been on meds for 15 years and am the only one who cares to try and understand him and his problems.

Reply to MoM
Posted by: Anon | 2010-04-20

Did you know Ritalin is a schedule 7 drug equivalent to that of Cocaine!? Why do you feel drugging your child is better than giving him the proper mental, emotional and physical stimulation that a child like him requires? Yes, he requires a whole lot more work than most kids his age, but is his life not worth it? If you wouldn''t give your child LSD or Cocaine... then don''t give him psychiatric drugs! Work WITH him.

Posted by: MoM | 2010-04-20

Hi, sorry about the caps used. We are seeing a child psychiatrist at Tara and they are putting together a panel of psychs and a prof etc for me later in May to assess my son. I am more scared of the Ritalin that Citalopram so of course we are being very careful of the combination, I am worried about finding a remedy as he is anxious. I did inform his Psych about the effect and she said to drop dose and try again on sat to see reaction. If it is no better i am sure we will leave the Ritalin until we have discussed with the panel. Mostly i would like someone to talk to who has had similar experience.

Reply to MoM
Posted by: Mom | 2010-04-20

Thanks, am getting a panel of Dr''s together in a month. Was just wondering how usual it is for such a young child to have so many problems. And wanted to see if anyone has experienced the mix of medications or disorders and had any comments?!

Reply to Mom
Posted by: Woman | 2010-04-20

If you have any doubt about his medication - get a second opinion. Or a third, or a fourth. Knowledge is power!

Reply to Woman