Question
Posted by: Denise | 2010/04/08

Child Obesity

My daughter is 7 and weighs 50 kg, how can I help her lose weight she is being teased at school and I am afraid this is going to damage her self esteem. She is inactive and would rather sit and draw than run outside. Eating she loves bread and I have tried everything to change to brown but she refuses to eat it. Sweets once a week but I must admit crisps is also a big problem, which I will need to stop buying - veggies are minimul I just cannot seem to get her to try other veggies except for potatoes, carrots and pumkin. Please help me.

Dear Denise
Your lassie already weighs as much as child of 14, so it is essential that you help her to lose weight. As a first step it is important to have your child assessed by a medical doctor to rule out any underlying physical problems such as hormone imbalances, low thyroid function, etc. If she is given a clean bill of health then the next step is to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian will have to work out a diet for the lassie that helps her to lose weight, but still provides all the nutrients like calcium that she needs for healthy, normal growth. You will have to encourage your daughter to become more active even if it means participating in her physical activity every day. Playing sport, swimming, cycling, going for brisk walks, jogging, and skipping are all activities that help with weightloss. Ideally she should do something active for an hour a day because experts agree that physical activity is one of the most important factors in helping obese children to lose weight.
Holding thumbs for both of you

1

Dear Denise
Holding thumbs for both of you