Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2008/10/14

Child not eating (5years old)

Hi, my child has been a little of a fussy eater, but loves fruit and have tried to find a balance between what she eats and what is healthy, adding (forcing) her to eat a little of what she doesnt like when we make it.

My problem now is, she is not eating at all. Doesnt seem to get hungry at all. I have asked her to tell me what she wants I will make it just so that she can get something in body. Even fruit, she use to love bananas, but nothing. She does complain about being tired and I know it is because she is not eating. We have cut her of any sweets/chips etc.

What do I do, do I find a supplement and hope it goes away, I also didnt eat as a child but at least ate peanut butter sandwiches. We have never talked about dieting or that is she is fat, as there is nothing wrong with her.

Any suggestions?

Dear Wendy
When a 5-year-old child stops eating this is usually a signal that she is either ill or struggling with a psychological problem. I would first have her assessed by a Paediatrician to determine if she does not have an underlying condition that is depressing her appetite. If she is given a clean bill of health then you may need to take her to a child psychologist who will assess what factors are causing this refusal to eat (anxiety, depression and even paediatric anorexia).
Holding thumbs that you will be able to pinpoint what is making your daughter refuse to eat.