Posted by: Bernadine | 2009-09-08

Child Nose Bleed

Hi. My daughter is 11 years old an often has a nose bleed. By often a mean maybe once a month. She has sinus and get headaches and this often follow a nose bleed. Should I be worried?

Hallo Bernadine
Children with "sinus" (allergic rhinitis) may have a dry mucosa in the nose and may sometimes pick at dry scabs in the nose, causing bleeding. It may also be that there is a friable vein inside the nose that can bleed from time to time. Your GP can have a look and cauterize the area with a chemical ( this is not painful - it looks like a earbud that you gently push against the area ) It may help to use a nasal cream like Naseptin that she can put in with her own finger. Please ask your doctor to look for signs of allergies and ask whether he thinks it is necessary that she sees an ENT specialist.