Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2009-02-20

Child molesters

What cause people to do such a hideous thing? Is it a low self-esteem or one or other pchyciatric reason?
I heard about a person who was jailed for this crime and because I know his parents so well it is for me a big question mark, why? There must be some or other reason.

If there was a simple anser to this question, there would be a simple solution to the problem. Instead, it is complex, and not the same in every case. And even apparent explanations fall short. Maybe some molesters have low self-esteem --- but over 99 % of all people with seriously low self-esteem don't molest anyone, and are as appalled to hear about it as anyone else --- so that's not an explanation.
I suspect part of the problem may be that psychiariy tries to avoid considering the concept of Evil, and the possibility that some people are bad rather than sick.