Question
Posted by: Moedeloos | 2009/10/22

Child Molestation

Can you please tell me - if a child(9 years old) has been severly traumatised by a molestation, but insists on protecting the perpetrators identity - is it possible to take him for hypnotherapy. He has been to 3 psychologist, but all three says that he refuse to give any clear information.

Hypnotherapy could be dangerous and harmful, and it would be grossly unethical to subject an unwilling child to hypnosis to try to force disclosure.Hypnosis is NEVER EVER the magic people think it is, and is not accepted in any competent court on earth as a source of reliable evidence - whatever was said under hypnosis couild not be assumed to be true.
I understand that one would want to know the identity of the abuser, both to better protect this child and to stop possible victimization of others. I'm surprized the psychologists gave up so easily. And don't, please, forget that the dramatic and highly emotional responses of adults to such events can also be traumatizing to the child, and make them more unwilling to disclose information.
If the child is obviously traumatized by this experience. then he needs and deserves therapy ( NOT hypnotherapy which is no recognized by any competent authority as helpful in such situations ) but calm therapy with an experienced child psychologist or child psychiatrist. When everyone around him calms down, and as he can start to deal with things in therapy, he may be better able to consider talking about the experience, and, in time, disclosing information about the identity of his abuser.

2
Posted by: almost mad | 2009/10/22

I am very sorry about what happened to the child. maybe you can try to explain to the child that you want to help other kids from also being hurt by this person. Or do some of your own investigating and try to find out who could have done this. keep trying and never give up hope!

Reply to almost mad