Question
Posted by: annon | 2013-01-23

child issue

hi having issues wth my son of 4yrs...me and his dad split up aftr 9yrs of being together.his dad has him weekends but he still gives me a hard time as to why his dad no longer lives with us how do i get him 2 understand

He's 4 ! How can he understand something so absolutely mystifying to a kid ? You'd probably, understandably, find it difficult to explain in detail to your mother or friends. To a child who has had mom and dad together his entire life ( though its only been 4 years so far ) its more puzzling than the sun rising in the south and setting in the East. Give him time. Explain calmly each time it arises ; and make it clear, because many kids worry about this, that none of this is his fault. Its easy for kids to think something bad they did caused their parents to separated or caused the quarels.