Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2011-05-19

Child Insomnia?

Hi Doc,

My 2 year old does NOT sleep! I don''t know what to do anymore. I thought he was suffering from Separation Anxiety and put him in my bed, but he just kicks me and sings and does not sleep. I am at my wits end as I must work a full day on having only 3 hours sleep at night.

He is not ill, he eats and drinks well and his nappy is changed at night.

He stays at home with the maid and will go to creche in January.

Any help would be appreciated.

I do suggest that you consult a child psychologist. Unfortunately, there is no medication that you can give to control his sleeping pattern. Try and keep him awake during the day with physical activity, in order to establish a sleeping pattern where he is awake during the day and sleeping at night.

Avoid all stimulants, i.e. coffee, sweets, soft drinks, chocolates, tea, medicine etc.

As a snack at night, melted cheese on bread with a warm glass of milk, might be valuable to make him feel sleepy.