Question
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2010/09/09

Child Custody - Bipolar

Hi there,

Can one loose custody of your children due to the fact that you have bipolar?

I took an overdose of tablets, ended up in Denmar and the people renting from me told lies, mainly that I drink a lot all the time, feed my children drink, my daughter, 12 had to look after my son of 4, etc. This was not the case. These people manipulated my life and took over quite a bit. I cannot tell why I took an overdose as I don''t know. These people have now moved out but are still spreading rumors. My daughter was on holiday by her father at the time of this incident, my little boy was with me. These people also robbed me of money and other things and even took my ex''s ashes, he recently died.

I love my children with my whole heart and I do not believe I would put their lives in danger, I would hope not. I haven''t done a bad job till now. I have made mistakes like every other parent, but giving my kids booze is not one of them. My daughter helped with her brother, but she didn''t have to look after him, I was there for him, I would often play with him until he would sleep and then try to spend time with my daughter.

What should i do?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

No, you can't loose custody simply because you are bipolar. You need to take your medication as it has shown that people with bipolar disorder are perfectly normal if they treat it properly.

It might be worth your while to consult a clynical phsycologist and request a report, so that in the event of a possible application by the children's father you will be able to defend.

Remember, children are special and one should always act in their best interests.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/09/12

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: Kathy | 2010/09/09

If you took an overdose you must have been depressed, I''m very sorry to hear what''s going on in your life, I hope my advice to you will be helpful, although you love your children what you are doing isn''t a good example for them. Children see and learn from their parents. I''m not saying you a bad parent you most probably have lots of worries, I think you need to get help by a physiatrist however you did mention you were in a Clinic. For the best interest for you dear children wouldn''t it be better if they stayed with thei dad till you have recovered, why don''t you have a meeting with him and discuss your problem. And don''t let people like those you had living with you enter into your life no matter how hard it might be, people like those who lived with you are destroyers. Please get help and think of your precious children. Good Luck !

Reply to Kathy