Posted by: mumOf1 | 2008-11-25

child custody

im not sure if ure the right person i shud be asking this,
im curretnly married with a 16month old girl, hubby and i have been fighting for sum time now and he keeps saying its over between us and that he' s taking the child with.then hte next he' l be like no he said that coz he was upset,now wha ti wana know is if him and i get to the point tht we divorce, i knw we will fight as to who keeps our girl, so i jus want to know what are the basics that the court looks at before granting a parent full custody of the child? i need to kno win case i need ot prepare myself like clearing my debt and stuff, i get the feeling our marriage will evntually come to an end and i dnt want him to keep my child, i would die.

so please help or refer me to sumone who can help

thank you

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You need to speak to a family lawyer.

Posted by: xoxo | 2008-11-25

Hi mum of 1

Usually it was a clear case that the mother keeps custody of the child. The father will be granted custody only when the mother is deemed unfit, which means drugs / alcholic etc.

Nowadays, I would say you still have a good chance of keeping your child. Both parents are responsible for maintenance towards the child.

I would suggest you do find a good lawyer who will protect your rights and try and pay all your debt of asap.

All of the best : )

Reply to xoxo