Question
Posted by: Joyce | 2011/02/12

child birth

Dear dr, I''ve been asking questions on this forum wit no answers from u? I''m hiv possitive and I will like to know which is the best way of child birth it is through csection or vigina birth? Thanks.

There is a reduction in transmission to the baby with caesarean section but, if you are on HAART, this is better in reducing transmission.

3
Posted by: Me | 2011/02/14

there are HIV + women who have given birth succesfully naturally with the PMTCT programme. Whilst C section is preferred natural is possible with transmission.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Nurse | 2011/02/14

Hi Joyce
I am a registered midwife and I know the General Rule is if you are HIV+, it is best to have a C-section as it limits the chances of mother to child transmission which your baby can be exposed to in the birth canal during a normal vaginal delivery. The best is to discuss this with your DR/Gynae as they will be able to give you the best advice

Reply to Nurse