Question
Posted by: LM | 2009-07-17

child and nightmares and walking in sleep

I am a bit concerned about my 11 year old son. Me and his dad have been divorced for almost 5 years now. He loves his dad. He goes to his dad every second weekend. My concern is that at his dad' s house he is walking in his sleep, he gets nightmares and most of the thime it happens on a sunday evening. None of this happens at my house. He goes to sleep at 20:00 and do not wake up once during the night. Why do this happens? Can it be that he wants to spend more time with his dad? Please advise.

A proper assessment by child shrink would be wise. It's curious that the sleep-walking, if that indeed is what it is, occurs only when at his dad's place, every second weekend ; that is unusual and significant. What happens as a result of these episodes ? Are these effects in any way rewarding to him, for instance, do they usually lead to him spending more time with his dad, or geting more close time with a consoling dad ?