Question
Posted by: Kate | 2011-12-07

Child Abuse

Just curious, I saw a lady in the shopping mall yesterday, she had 3children with her, two were under 5yrs the other a baby on her arm. The older kids were palying around etc as they were obviously getting bored standing in the qeue.

Their mother then started screaming at them and one went on, she smacked him on the head and he started crying.
Now I do not have children but firstly if I did I would not take them out into crowded shopping malls if I had the choice.

She smacked him on the head, I dont mind parent giving the kids a smack on the bum, not too hard but just enough for them to realise they doing wrong but never in the face or head.

Well no one seemed to think it was wrong but how does this affect the child growing up?

I know of ppl eho have always gotten hidding as kids and they seem fine, how much hard does this do?

Maybe its partly due to families being more scattered these days ( so relatives are less available to help ) but it appears to me that the baby-sitter is dead - at the mall, I see families seem routinely now to take every child, down to infants in arms, on shopping expeditions, which is far from pleasant for kids.
I also disapprove of smacking kids on the head, and agree that a moderate pat on the bottom does no harm at all. As for long-term effects, it's hard to separate out such specific events. Where there's a generally consistently loving and caring relationship between parents some such incidents probably don't cause problems, especially when they're part of an orderly and clear and consistent system of rules, consequences chd discipline. Where there is not a consistently loving, caring relationship, that in itself can cause problems, and acts of violence in a temper that reflect more a chaotic parenting style, are surrely unhelpful.

1