Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2010-03-20

Chicken Pox - Tick bite fever /Coxsakie Virus

Hi doc my previous post (4795) was with regards to chicken pox. My son had to be admitted to hospital on Thursday. Fever of 40.3 severe vomiting. Was diagnosed the previous week with chicken pox. Now dr''s seem to think it could be tick bite fever or coxsakie (he is 13) blood tests show tick bite fever as negative. Liver < 4.1 and his was 146.8! His urine was extremely dark but this has since cleared, They are retesting for tick bite as sometimes it does show negative a few times. They are now also mentioning this coxsakie virus? How serious is this and how long does it take to heal? His rash is definitely not blistering as one would expect with chicken pox...his skin on the contrary is smooth but just read botches all over his body.He is on a drip and a broad -spectrum antibiotics until tests show something - I am so worried as he is and always had been a very healthy teenager - how will this effect him/sports etc.
Thank you for your time - Jenny

Jenny

His skin rash can be due to a viral infection, like the Coxsackie Virus. The skin rash is referred to as viral exanthem. The Coxsackie infection is not an unusual virus to get in children and most children recover completely with no residual effects.

It sounds like he is in good hands and I will not be too concerned and will put my trust in the doctors treating him.

If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to send another post.