Question
Posted by: Anne | 2010-12-06

Chicken Pox

My son (aged 8) seems to have a bad case of chicken pox. He was diagnosed a few year s ago with Ocular Herpes and Shingles around the eye area. He hasnt had an outbreak for a while now. My question is, will the herpes virus in his eyes resurface because of the chicken pox he now has?

Dear Anne
The chickenpox itself will not cause herpes, but the dip in his immunity due to the illness may trigger herpes, so watch out for any symptoms and rather take him to an opthalmologist if he presents with any suspicious symptoms. They can treat it with antivirals if you start treatment within 24-48 hours of the first symptoms.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-12-06

Dear Anne