Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2011-03-07

chicken livers

Dear Doc

I am trying to loose a bit of weight and I am following a healthy eating plan. Can you tell me if I can or should eat chicken livers whilst trying to lose weight. I usually make it with onions and Ina Paarman''s periperi cook in sauce.

Dear BMJ
Chicken livers fried in oil are relatively high in energy, namely 846 kJ per 100g, which represents 13.4% of the energy intake of an adult woman who is trying to lose weight. Liver is however an excellent food being rich in protein, B vitamins (esp vit B12), iron and choline. If you have a modest serving of about 50 g (423 kJ = 6.7% of the energy intake) then this should not increase your energy intake to unacceptable levels and the liver will provide you with vital nutrients.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-08

Dear BMJ
Enjoy