Question
Posted by: GD Mom | 2010/08/16

Chicken liver

Hi CV and team - my great dane is two and a half years old and weighs about 47kg. (she''s petite) She has always been a picky eater. I read recently that chopped up chicken liver may encourage her to eat better. She is on Eukanuba pellets and I put one Table spoon of cooked chopped chicken liver over the pellets with some hot water and she is eating much better. Finally my question - is cooked chicken liver bad for dogs?

Hi GD Mum

There is no problem with feeding chicken livers to your GD. There are very nutritious so please do not over feed as you may cause a dietary diarrhoea

4
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/08/17

You will have to post a new post to get CV''s advice on Ultra Dog, but my vet says its 100%. Yes, I know Royal Canine, I had my cats on it until it became so ridiculously expensive that I switched over to Hills and guess what, they don''t eat the Hills! Hills is now just as expensive (I had 19 cats at the time) so I have now put them on Purina One (also expensive) and ,y old cat gets Perfect Fit. They still get their Hills but the packet lasts for ages as they prefer Purina One. I am now down to 11 cats so all our money goes on our animals and vet! Hope you come right with your dog. Is hell having tummy troubles be they cat or dog.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: GD Mom | 2010/08/17

Thanks CV and Cat Lady - as a puppy we had serious sensitive tummy issues with even the slightest change of diet leading to diarrhoea. Royal Canin was the only manufacturer who made food for large breed puppies with sensitive tummies. I kept her on it for two years and eventually managed to get her onto eukanuba (my budget couldnt cope!)
CV Is the ultra dog in the same league (nutrition wise) as the eukanuba?
Cat Lady - I''ll try cooking chicken necks as a bit of a variety for her. Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/08/16

I have heard from many owners that dogs are not fond of Eukanuba, my own detest it. My dogs are on Ultra Dog (available from vets) which is a)) cheaper b) they love them. Only my puppy is on Hills until she is 18 months by which time she will have to slowly change over to Ultra dog. Speak to your vet about other choices or ask for samples so you can try them out.

I give mine chicken livers or lamb liver once in a blue moon as I find it causes runny tummies. Have you trtied cooking chicken necks for them until they are soft?

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/16

Hi GD Mum

Reply to CyberVet