Question
Posted by: Lesley | 2011/08/19

Chiari - who to see

I have been diagnosed with a Chiari malformation (8mm herniation)

The neurologists I have consulted can only treat symptomatically (ie. with medication) and the long term use of the meds is damaging.

I have seen a Neuro-surgeon, but he does not have much experience with Chiari and is also loath to do anything.

My symptoms are worsening and I am now having seizure type episodes.

Where can I find out who in Cape Town has decent experience in dealing with this condition ?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lesley,

The only neurosurgeon that I know in Cape Town who operates on Arnold-Chiari malformations is Roger Melville on 021 797 4330. No doubt there are others, but I am not aware of them.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/27

Dr Mellvill did a posterior fossa decompression on me about 15 or 20 years ago for arnold chiari malformation and it has changed my life. GB

Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/08/23

Dear Lesley,

Reply to Headache expert