Question
Posted by: Isabel | 2011-02-10

CHEWING THINGS

Our labradoror 0r jack russel pinches things (socks, shoes laundry off the bed) and then eats/chews it outside. They go for daily walks.

Im not sure which dog is actually doing this although I have seen the jack russel destroying their blankets.

How can this behavoiur be corrected?
thanks
Isabel

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Isabel, lovely to hear from you and i know just how frustrating that can be, especially if it is a favourite item! Firstly i would suggest the management route - simply close the door to the rooms and remove all things dogs can get hold of.

If you are shouting or getting excited at the behaviour this will only make it worse as in addition to the 'prize' the dog receives your attention! So as hard as it is, either teach the dog to 'swap' items or distract and then take away.

I would suggest that you give your dogs some 'legal' items such as nice big Ox Femurs or large size Rawhide Chewy bones with a little peanut butter smeared inside to make them more inviting. Always be careful of peanut butter as too much can be toxic to a dog, if possible use organic which is better. Additionally, remembered that objects can be swallowed so be vigilant and make sure they dont get chewed up into too small pieces. Good luck and do let me know how you do, thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011-02-11

I have the same problem. We actually have a dog behaviourist coming over this evening. i have no shoes left!

Reply to Shnoodle
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-02-11

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert