Question
Posted by: Elize | 2011/11/24

Chewing &  Licking other pet''s ears!!!

Hi, we have 2 female Jack Russels, a Staffie and 3 cats. The one jack russel is always (when I say always - I really mean A LOT!!) licking and chewing/ sucking the other one''''s ears, she also does this with one of the cats. This does not seem to bother either the cat or the other dog, but we find it strange and I was wondering if there might be something wrong, or is this "  normal"  behaviour?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Elize, not having more background on the dogs it is often difficult to say why happening, but this behaviour does seems to occur more when a pup is taken away from its mother too young, normally around, or before 6 weeks of age, with some dogs sucking/chewing on other animals and some even sucking on blankets etc. Some animals grow out of it and if it is worrying you (or the other animals)try distraction by way of offering a nice chew toy such as a rawhide which has been 'laced' with some peanut butter in the cracks and even a few pieces of biltong. It is important to distract the dog before it really gets stuck in to sucking on the other dog.
Thanks S

2
Posted by: Petru Pietersen | 2011/12/08

HI, as I read Elize''s question regarding chewing and licking and your reply to it. We are experiencing only the licking part and not the chewing part. But our female dog had her puppy in February this year and since it''s her first puppy we decided not to give him away. Since then, they only licking each other''s ears but it does not bother either one of them.

They have their chewing toys and these claws we can buy in the shops, they will play with it and chew it, and only once a while they licking each others ears... @Elize, it does not bother us..

Reply to Petru Pietersen
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/25

Thanks S

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert