Posted by: KAYLA | 2009-10-07

Hi Doc, before i begin with my question,i would like to say thank you for such an informative site and for the good advice you give.

Im 34yrs old, and i have had some sun damage done to my chest area, i have lines on my chest and the skin near my collar bone is crinkly. In your expert opion what treatment could you recommend?

Also, can a chemical peel be done on this area (what type of doc would preform this procedure)?

Would thermage help this area? and could this area be rectified by surgery?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Kayla, thank you for the question and the compliments, it is my pleasure and I am glad that the advice is helping in this ever growing and confusing field of information.

Your best approach would be to have a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner examine the area of concern and if possible perform a VISIA skin analysis of the chest area so that the best treatment options can be discussed.

The most important ‘treatment’ is the application of a SPF 50 or higher (applied several times daily) during summer that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Generally speaking the chest area is best approached with combination treatments as this will give ultimate results.

My advice would be to consider skin rejuvenation technologies and in our practice we use Syneron’s SR applicator and the new Matrix RF (fractional) applicator. This combination addresses the sun damage, pigmentation, superficial veins and treats wrinkles, tightens any loose and ‘crinkly’ skin. For added improvements some of our patients undergo NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels 7 to 10 days before the technology based treatments. To achieve the best results a minimum of 3 sessions are required 4 to 6 weeks apart. Please be aware that not all technology is the same and that results are operator dependent.

Thermage is an option for this area but one needs to consider the pain factor of the treatment and the financial implications. Furthermore, most studies on Thermage show a mild to moderate improvement to skin laxity with an average of about 60% of patients treated are satisfied with results; you would also need to consider other technologies for the removal of the sun damage (pigmentation) and superficial veins.

Chemical peels can be considered and your options are superficial peels (such as glycolic acid) or deeper peels (such as TCA, V-Peel, etc.).
One will experience improved results with the deeper peels mentioned but you need to be aware of the discomfort factor and the downtime that may be significant and uncomfortable for 7 to 10 days and one would most probably need 3 treatments 6 to 8 weeks apart.

I believe that surgery would be overkill as a treatment option and would strongly advise against it.