Posted by: Loyiso | 2012-11-12

Chest problems and coughing

Dear Doc

At the beginning of July i had a strong bout of flu. My chest was the mostly affected part. I was coughing throughout the night and my chest was wheezing. I consulted my GP who gave me tablets and cough mixture. I became better but my chest never recovered. I noticed after that when the weather is cloudy my chest becomes tight and the wheezing comes back. Also when i did some exercises at the gym my chest would burn and i would not breathe freely as i would normally before.

What i noticed with the medication that was prescribed by my GP, was that there were no antibiotics given. When i went back to him last month about the other thing, i also brought it to his attention that ever since i had consulted him about the flu my chest had never recovered. He told me it could be attributed to the weather that was still cold. The chest problem would go away. I was concerned it could be the onset of asthma or i was being attacked by TB.

Two weeks ago, i had the flu symptoms again. My flu starts with the sore throat and sput on my throat all the time. It then goes down to the chest...and the coughing starts. I didn''t go to the doctor immediately but when i realized that all the over-the-counter medication did not work, i went to see the other doctor. He told me that i had symptoms of pneumonia. He gave me an injection and antibiotics and promised me it would clear. Since the doctor i consulted was not my GP and i was out of town, i decided to consult my GP again last week thursday when i got back home. He examined me and concurred that i contracted pneumonia. He prescribed strong antibiotics on top of those given by the previous doctor. He also promised that it would clear the pneumonia.

I have finished 2 cough mixtures and tomorrow i am finishing the second antibiotics. Although i am better than before, i am worried that i am still coughing sporadically, i still cough sput, my chest is still sometimes making noise (wheezing), my voice is still not normal.

End of July, i did the full blood count tests, including tests for kidneys, diabetes, HIV, rheumatism, etc. All of them came negative. The last time i did X-rays for TB was at the beginning of the year. My GP says it is not necessary to do it again now. I am so worried i have lost some weight because of this.

How long does the pneumonia take to clear since i would be finishing the second set of antibiotics? Could this be the onset of asthma or TB? Could it be that the first bout of flu was not treated properly since i was not given antibiotics? What should i do. I take BP medication...prexum 4mg and atenolol 50mg.

I suggest that you consult a pulmonologist for a chest x-ray, lung function test and possible CT scan of your chest. The flu can make your airways over active and even cold weather can cause a bout of coughing. If there is airway narrowing present and maybe the beginning of asthma, you should consult your doctor to stop the atenolol. Atenolol can be aggeevating your chronic cough.

Posted by: Loyiso | 2012-11-30

This is a follow up to the my last posting. My GP referred me to do x-rays and i believe the scan for the chest was also done. The results came out negative for TB and Asthma. i don''t know what else he tested, but he told me there was nothing serious except that i still have the infection in my lungs, bronchitis to be precise.

He then put me on the 3rd different set of antibiotics and other medications and i have completed all the courses. Although i feel better than before, is till feel that there''s still some irritation in my windpipe which starts in my chest and goes up to my throat. This causes me feel like i am having this constant something that needs constant clearing in my throat. It also affects my voice especially in the morning. It is as if i am losing my voice.

I really feel that there is still that is not completely right in my chest. It''s been a month now since i started feeling like this and i am worried. I have even exhausted my day-to-day benefits.
I do cardio in the gym although i feel that my chest becomes congested.

What could be the problem.

Reply to Loyiso