Posted by: H | 2010-10-15

Chest Press vs Bench Press

I would like to know if and how the chest press and bench press differ from each other as it feels to me like the same muscles are working. If they are different, which if better?

Hi H

Are we talking dumbell chest press?

The only difference is that the bench press involves the bar, so the left-right interaction is different compared to if you use two separate dumbbells. Here, we're talking about left vs right weaknesses, how much the supporting muscles are activated etc.

I'd say that if you can do both, then chest press is good, but be aware of left-right imbalances, which might be compensating etc.

Posted by: PVS | 2010-10-29

They both exercise your main muscle known as your Pectoralis major &  minor (Chest muscles) The chest press machine(seated or upright) works on levers etc and thus would not exercise the smailler and other muscles as much as normal free weight bench would do. If you are only starting in the gym now i suggest get into lite bench press and first strengthen your tendons and liggaments then work up the weight to build and strengthen your muscles (pectoralis major &  minor) bench press is one of the best exercises there is but also one that is done incorrectly and can cause major injury if you take onn more than what you can handle. Also to define and strengthen your chest muscles there is nothing better than push ups. Some people can bench 100kg''s and more but can not even do 10 - 20 push ups. So as to the best thing there is go for push ups and bench press (from incline,flat to decline). Regards

Reply to PVS