Question
Posted by: Mark Dent | 2011/11/14

chest pains while running

i have recently taken up doing triathlons, training in the pool and on the bike are going well, road running however is problematic.

I am running 5km distances, but often have to run 3 minutes,walk/very slow jog for 1minute.REPEAT.

Fairly early into the run i start experiencing a growing chest pain which seems to originate on the side and move to the centre of my chest... i only experience this while running, once the initial pain is there it lasts throughout the run, subsides during my slow job/walk session then starts up again during the run.

Is this common, or is it something to be concerned about?

Mark

Hi Mark

That's an interesting problem, because it's limited to only running. The two things that jump out at me initially are a) that it might be an asthma of sorts, and the rhythm of running is what causes it to happen. Swimming is a lot easier becuase the breathing pattern is dictated by the stroke, and cycling allows breathing in any rhythm, whereas running has impact that affects it. Exercise associated asthma is relatively common and may be in play for you.

The other option is possibly of more concern, though the fact that you're cycling and swimming OK makes me less concerned, and that's that your chest pain is something to worry about. The only way to know if it's really something to be concerned about is to have an ECG and diagnose it.

However, I suspect maybe something a lot more mundane and that's that the impact is causing pain when running. Is there any chance you've bruised or damaged ribs recently? Even a slight dislocation, and the extra effort of breathing plus the landing every half a second adds up to chest pain. So that's a third option. Obviously, safety first says check out the ECG, make sure it's really nothing, and then consider further assessment.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Mark

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc