Posted by: Melaina | 2009-02-18

Chest pains (repeatedly)

I have been having chest pain for three days now. The pain is in the centre of my breasts, the severity differs sometimes the pain is so bad i cant walk upright.
Last year i have been in icu five times with chest pain, the same as now. Each time my heart beats around 170 -180 times a minute. Each time i get sent home with antibiotics, but as now the pain is back. My gp said I have SVT, but on my last stay in icu the cardiologist said its not the SVT causing the pain and my heartbeat. The pain is there 24/7 now. I once went to casualty with chest pain and told the doctor i cant use my left hand its as if there is not enough energy in it to work, but again just got antibiotics. What can cause this pain. When I have these chest pains i feel weak, sweaty, irritated and just very hot. I do not want to go back to hospital as it will just be icu and antibiotics again, so there is no use really in going. Sometimes its like an elephant sitting on my chest. a normal healthy person should not have pain at all but no doctor is really interested in finding the problem.

Hallo Melaina
I can understand your frustration. Chest pain can be caused by a hiatus hernia, a peptic ulcer, esophagus spasm, angina of the heart, lung infection or inflammation, rib or muscle inflammation or infection. Have you had an examination by a gastro enterologist to see if you have erosion of the esophagus or spasm in the esophagus? If not, I think you should ask your GP to refer you to one. They can see this with a gastroscopy ( a flexible tube with a fibre optic camera that they use to look down your throat ) This is not painful at all, it is a bit uncomfortable but most doctors do it under light sedation. It only takes a few minutes to do this.
I think not knowing what is causing this is causing you severe anxiety and this may be the cause of the fast heartbeat.
See also for a comprehensive article about chest pain