Question
Posted by: concerned | 2010-11-12

Chest Pains NB

Please can you advise me and possibly give me peace of mind.

Last night I started getting chest pains (in the area under my left breast). it is not constant, more like a bit of a spasm every now and then. It isn''t a very bad pain just enough to make me a little concerned.
I also tend to start panicking if I get chest pains as I know of someone a year older than me (I am 34) who had a heart attack and passed away last year and he was much fitter than me. I am not sure if my left arm is feeling a little sore or if it is my mind playing tricks on me and creating symptoms as that does tend to happen.

My mother has angina and both grandfathers had heart attacks.
I have had an ECG done either last year or early this year and it was normal. I was also told I have a slight heart murmur.

Can you advise? Should I see a doctor?

I strongly suggest that you consult your doctor for a follow-up stress ECG and full examination, as you have a strong family history for heart conditions.

3
Posted by: concerned | 2010-11-14

Sorry doc, was wondering if it could not be something like breast cancer?? Have not yet been for a mammogram but the pain is in the breast area. last gynae visit checked for nipple discharge and there was none.. also did not have these pains then.

Reply to concerned
Posted by: concerned | 2010-11-14

Thanks Doc
I did go and see the doctor on Friday and they ran an ECG which they said was normal. I still have the pains (not continually) it feels like its a muscular pain or that someone has hit me. I am not sure if it is my intercostal muscles but I don t think I''ve done anything to them. My back is also stiff. I am stil worried as I don''t know what it can be

Reply to concerned
Posted by: Frances | 2010-11-12

Is it not caused by either acid reflux or a hiatus hernia? I have had this type of pain for about 4 years and despite numerous tests and sonars it cannot be identified. Also have had ECG''s, etc. Mine is most probably due to digestive issues (acid reflux, etc). The pain can be very severe at times and I can understand why you panic.

Reply to Frances