Posted by: DW | 2012-04-02

chest pains and cramp in arm

hi doc,
i have just had a baby and still breast feeding, i get chest pains then the pain shoots from my neck down my left arm and into my hand, it feels like a major cramp and it is so bad my arm goes lame and my vein sticks up quite bad. sometimes i get pins and needles in my hand but not all the time just a numbing feeling. what could be the cause of this?

You will have to consult your doctor for a stress ECG to exclude a cardiac cause for your symptoms. It is possible that you are merely suffering from neck muscle spasm, which causes slight nerve impinchment, resulting in the pain and numbness in your arm. The chest pain can be due to gastric reflux. I do however, suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and the ECG as soon as possible.