Question
Posted by: chris | 2012-09-10

chest pains

Have regular chest pain. Have undergone number of ecg and related test. No heart problems diagnosed by cardiologist. Neurologist diagnosed post herpatic neuralgia and prescribed cymgen. On treatment for more than a year. No real significant improvement. Have also suffered several panic attacks as a result of panick that sets in when pain occurs. What could be the cause? Condition has really diminished my quality of life. Been a rugby referee before condition. Has since retired from all sport mainly as a result of fear of heart attack

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Chris

You don’t mention your age but it sounds as though you were having non-cardiac chest pain and the problem is being aggravated by your anxiety about it (you mention panic attacks).

If you have been thoroughly investigated by a cardiologist and he can tell you with certainty that your pain is non-cardiac, and that your arteries are healthy, then you need have no further fear of heart attacks. Heart attacks do not occur in people with normal coronary arteries. Please make sure that you have been thoroughly investigated and that your arteries are normal and healthy. If that is the case, you can confidently stop worrying about your heart.

If the pain is due to post-herpetic neuralgia then it should disappear gradually with time, although pain after “shingles” can persist for many months and sometimes even years. However, although very unpleasant it is benign and will not lead to any adverse consequences.

I hope things get better with time.

Best wishes, JT.

2
Posted by: Bulelwa Mdoko | 2012-09-17

My 92 yrs old mother been having chest pains that going down and also pains at the back down her groin and waste line. Can you please help .

Reply to Bulelwa Mdoko
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012-09-14

Dear Chris

I hope things get better with time.

Best wishes, JT.

Reply to Cardiologist