Question
Posted by: Quitter | 2012-06-25

Chest Pains

Hello Doc,

Today is Day 21 of not smoking, but I still have chest pains. Sometimes it''s quite severe.

I also still seem to have phlegm on my chest as I sometimes wake up hearing a rasping sound (which is why I quit!!)

I have started running again and managed to do a 10kn run on the weekend without any major discomfort.

Please couldyou let me know how long it will be before my chest feels healthy &  clear again?

C

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Some people do feel worse in the first few weeks after quitting, and the symptoms you mention may be experienced as a result of nicotine withdrawal and your body adjusting to being free of tobacco smoke. Please stick with it - you will start to feel better, but it may take longer, even 8-12 weeks, before symptoms abate. In some people, it takes 6 months before they feel comfortable as non-smokers. But have no doubt: you are already much healthier now than 3+ weeks ago. That said, it's a good idea to check in with your doctor during this withdrawal period and tell him/her about any symptoms that are bothering you, especially chest pain. Occasionally, smoking may mask an underlying condition that only starts to become apparent once you stop. Very well done on the quitting so far(and on the running!) and keep on going.