Question
Posted by: Loyd | 2010/08/12

Chest pains

My stomach is intolerant of spicy foods and alcoholic drinks as a result of ulcers. Nevertheless i do eat spices and drink alcohol. After taking these i usually feel discomfort in my stomach and chest. I am particularly frightened and terrified by chest pains since it is associated with heart problems. In around April, the ECG and Stress ECG were done by my GP to exclude heart diseases. The results were negative.
I am an in constant depression and am in remeron for more than six months now but i don''t think it works because i''m always anxious which affects my heart rhythm and blood pressure. I do take prexum 4mg for blood pressure and recently added atenolol 50mg because of heart beating fast.

Recently, i have developed this pain on my chest just above, below or left side of my left nipple. I feels like little pricks, sometimes it is just under my collar bone on the right. It happens when i sit or when i run. I go to the gym regularly. Normally, it happens after drinking episode and eating spicy food.

Could this be linked to the drinks and food i take or it a matter of serious concern? Could this be the angina or more serious heart related problem. I''m 44 years and am frightened by this, please advise.

Hallo Loyd
Angina usually causes a heavy pressing feeling in the centre of the breastbone that can spread into the jaw or Left arm. Stomach lining irritation can cause pain on the pit of the stomach, spreading to the back. The pain you describe could be due to slight inflammation of the covering of the lung or an irritation of one of the small nerves of the chest muscles. If you have ulcers you should really try to avoid alcohol and spicy food. Ask your doctor if you can't add something like Aterax to use when you get anxiety attacks, alternatively you can use an over the counter tablet like Biral or rescue remedy.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/12

Hallo Loyd