Posted by: shera | 2010-03-11

chest pains

I am a 35 yr old woman and have been experiencing sharp chest pains above my left breast for the past 2 weeks now. It was not so bad before but last night it was more painful than usual. I took two asprins (disprin) with water last night to ease the discomfort. At the moment there isnt any pain but i''''m sure it will definately come back as I am constantly doing strenous housework and a working mum. I am a bit worried as my dad suffered a heart attack &  past on. I am not diabetic, my cholestrol is normal and do not smoke. I went for an ECG early last year and was told that I have an irregular pulse rate. Can you please help - any home remedies??

Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-03-15

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: Shera Hiralal | 2010-03-12

Thank you so much for replying and the advice.

Much Appreciated.

Reply to Shera Hiralal
Posted by: Dr Bets | 2010-03-11

Hallo Shera
if it only happens when you rest and if you press on the area, it is probably due to inflammation in the ribs/cartilage or muscles of the chest. You don''t have any risk factors but with your family history, it won''t do any harm to have another ECG if the pain does not respond to anti-inflammatories like Voltaren/neurofen or mypaid. Angina is usually a pain that comes with exercise/activity, and feels like a heavy pressing pain in the centre of the chest, spreading to the jaw or arm.

Reply to Dr Bets