Question
Posted by: Smith | 2009-07-29

Chest pains

I have been experiencing chest pains for a while now. I had an ECG done and it showed nothing wrong with my heart. The pains are sharp and stabbing-like and sometimes radiate down my left arm. The apins are cot constant and when they appear it' s for about 5 seconds. I also get pains in my left shoulder at the " inside"  part of the shoulder-blade. I also get heartburn and indigestion. Please advise on what to do?

Dear Smith
Pain coming from the esophagus can feel like heart related pain, so I think one should first exclude a hiatus hernia or esophagitis due to acid reflux. Ask your GP to refer you for a gastroscopy to check for this. Severe inflammatory muscle spasm (fibrositis) in the neck and upper back can also cause referred chest and arm pain.