Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2011/04/18

Chest pain or heart failure

I''m 42 years old and have high blood patient. I''m taking treatment for high blood. My problem is get tired and I don''t have energy especially in the morning, I can''t run a distance, my heart will beat as if is going to get out of my chest and I have a sharp pain on my left hand of my heart just below my chest. Sometimes it''s so painful that I find it dificult to breath and it takes an hour or longer to go away. Is this a heart failure? must I go to see a Cardiologist? Please help.

Belinda, frm Pretoria

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Belinda

the pain you describe does not sound at all like heart pain, and being a 42 year old woman you are at low risk for the disease which is the commonest cause of heart pain ie coronary disease (unless you smoke or are diabertic or have a very bad family history.)

Your tiredness and lack of energy and inability to run are different problems altogether, for which there may be many causes. One of the commonest in young women would be iron deficiency anaemia - have you been tested for this Belinda? Another common cause would be some medication for high blood pressure, specifically beta blockers. Are you perhaps taking a beta blocker?

My advice would be to go and see your doctor, not necessarily a cardiologist, and discuss these problems with him/her.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/19

Hi Belinda

Reply to Cardiologist