Question
Posted by: Ouchi | 2012/09/12

Chest pain, elevated heartrate

I''ve been having chest pains on the top 1/4 of my chest. Mainly the areas between my collar bone and breasts. Its sharp stabbing pains that seems to come at random. Sometimes it feels like the pain is going straight thru my chest and to my back. It''s not limited to where my heart is situated.

I''ve had x-rays done, and have been on 2 courses of anti-inflamitaries.

My heart rate is up at 135bpm, but it varies. Sometimes dropping down to 85bpm.

I''ve been on beta-blockers, but the situation didn''t improve.

I''ve been struggling with this since June.

I''m a 30 year old woman, non smoker, non drinker and of a healthy weight.

I''ve cut back on going to gym, as I''m scared I hurt my heart. I''ve been once, and didn''t feel any worst afterwards.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Ouchi

The chest pain you are having has got absolutely nothing to do with your heart and is probably part of a chest wall syndrome, in other words is arising from structures in the chest wall such as cartilage, muscles between the ribs, etc Your high heart rate is simply a reflection of labile heart rate in a slim young woman and is not abnormal. It will not damage your heart by going to gym, on the contrary, it will only improve your general health.

I am not surprised that the situation didn’t improve with anti-inflammatories and betablockers. No drugs should be necessary for the symptoms you describe, and I am sure they will all subside with time and peace of mind.

Best wishes, JT

2
Posted by: DINNY | 2012/10/10

I AM 32 YEARS OLD WOMAN,NON SMOKER NOR DRINKER,I EXPERIENCE AN ACHING ON MY SHOULDER PLATES AND TIHGTNESS ON MY CHEST ESPECIALLY ON TOP OF MY LEFT BREAST AND MY BACK IS ALSO AFFECTED.IT HAS BEEN YEARS LIVING WITH THIS PAIN THINKING IT WILL DISAPEAR.I ALWAYS WOKE UP TIRED. I WAS 15 AND 17 YEARS RESPECTIVELY WHEN I HAVE GOT MY CHILDREN AND THEY ALL CAME PREMATURELY.

Reply to DINNY
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/20

Dear Ouchi

Best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist