Question
Posted by: ami | 2002/05/27

Q.

Chest pain after 'flu

At the beginning of April I went to the doctor with 'flu symptoms and was diagnosed as having one of the flu viruses that attacks tissue and muscle. I had body pain and headaches. Following the flu, I developed bronchitis and the coughing from that bout has only really just cleared away although I still have a bit of a wet cough. I was on two antibiotics over that period as well as Panafcort. Since having had bronchitis, I've had a continuous pain in my chest from about the breastbone across the upper part of the left side of the chest and around to almost the shoulder blade. Breathing hurts, coughing and sneezing have been excruciating and I can't lie on my back at all (can't breathe). Even moving is painful. I went back to my GP last week Tuesday and she examined me, sent me for x-rays and the diagnosis was that I either have costochondritis and/or a touch of pleurisy (the x-rays revealed some clouding on the lower part of the lungs). The heart looked normal. She told me to take anti-inflammatories and a painkiller (Cataflam D and Myprodol). I've been taking these three times a day with meals since Tuesday and the pain is only temporarily relieved (it's back within the hour). If I climb stairs (which I can't avoid at home or at work), I become short of breath and sometimes a bit dizzy and of course, I feel it in my chest. Will the anti-inflammatories etc, cure the costochondritis and if so, how soon? What else could I be doing to get over this condition? Could this be a side effect of the flu I had? I am not exercising (beyond the stair-climbing that is), I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol and before this flu, I was reasonably fit. I'm 33 and I feel like a little old lady!
I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Expert's Reply

A.

Ami, from this side of the screen it sounds like you have pleurisy (inflammation of the lung sack), but you’re taking two anti-inflammatories and it’s still not helping (I hope your stomach can handle the assault). The x-rays would have shown pneumonia and a lung abscess, so we can exclude them. I doubt that it’s caused by costochondritis as taking two anti-inflammatories would have sorted it out.
The problem now is that I can’t really help you without examining you first and maybe doing some further tests. My advice would e to see a doctor if it hasn’t cleared up by Friday. Good luck.

2
user comments
Posted by: CyberDoc | 2002/05/29

Reply to CyberDoc
Posted by: jball663 | 2002/05/27

you kinda sound like what i have. i have had chest pains since last october, i get shortness of breath and kind of dizzy. i had chest xrays and ekg and all where normal. please e-mail me and we can talk more.

Reply to jball663

Want to comment?