Posted by: Anon | 2011-10-25

Chest Pain

Dear Doc,

Im a 28yr old female, have 2 kids. I smoke approx 7 - 10 cigarettes per day. I do moderate exercise 3 times a week. My BMI is normal. I weigh 62kg''s.
A month ago, i started experiencing a pain in my chest. Its above my breast, so not close to the heart, but it worries me. It comes everynow and again, sometimes lasts for hours. When experience this pain, i can''t breathe deeply as it hurts. When i move my left arm perhaps, it hurts that spot, pain becomes aggrevated. At first i thought it might''ve been caused by the way i sleep. For example, last night it happened again, when i move, it hurts, when i lay down on my back, it''s better. I excersides regardless and didn''t feel th epain at all. Afterwards it even felt better.
Is this something to be concerned about?

I think that you have over exerted muscles in the area where the pain occurs. I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for an examination and exercises to alleviate the pain.

In the interim you can use Naproxen 275 mg, two tablets, three times daily, in combination with Robaxin, one tablet, three times daily for at least 5 days (available over the counter).

I also suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and if warranted a stress ECG to exclude heart pathology and a chest x-ray to exclude lung pathology or the slim possibility of aortic dissection.