Posted by: Zenobia | 2009-04-09

Chest pain

I am a 28 year old female, I dont smoke dont drink eat a vegetarian diet. I have been diagnosed with SVT and Barlows disease and also what my GP calls WPA in afrikaans.

I have been getting terrible chest pains for a very long time now. The pain is between my breasts but sometimes higher up my chest. It feels like an eliphant is sitting on my chest and its a stab pain on a scale of 1 - 10 its an 8.

Two days ago I again woke up at 3am with this terrible pain, sometimes my heart beats so fast that I actually feel it beating.
Each time i go to a doctor they say something different.

Its been months now and the pain still comes and goes and I do not even have stress in my life. Its at a point now that I told my husband I must die and get it over with as I can not handle this pain anymore. Its not normal to have pain.

In january i was in ICU because the pain was so bad that I had to go to casualty my heart was beating 170 per minute in ICU the doctor said he does not know because even when in bed resting the heart still beats too fast it does not slow down.

Please advise me as I am at breaking point now. My biggest fear is that someday I get this pain whilst driving and cause my own death or someone elses.

Dear Zenobia
Have you seen a cardiologist? It may be that your heart is beating so fast that it cannot provide enough oxygen rich blood to the heart muscle causing angina symptoms. There are medications one can take to increase the blood flow to the heart muscle (like Adalat). What are you getting in terms of treatment for the condition?