Posted by: boo | 2009-04-16

chest infection, crohns, depression

Hi Doc,
I have had a chest infection that has dragged on a few weeks... I went to the doc (finally) last week, and he gave me orelox antibiotics. I went back to him this week, and I had gotten worse. He then put me on Avelon antibiotics, and parmelon (a form of prednisone, 40mg per day for 5 days). I' m also having a terrible crohns flareup, and he' s hoping that the corticosteroids will help with that too. I' m still not getting better. I' m also so worried that my frequent use of corticosteroids (a few times a year, for long periods, like 2 or 3 months at a time) is affecting my body in other ways. Do you have any suggestions? My ill-health is really starting to depress me. I' m so envious of people who are normal (i.e. those who don' t have to bolt for the nearest toilet every half hour, and who can eat without worrying about the pain, and who don' t get funny looks and comments from people because they don' t lose 4kgs in a week because of a flareup). I' m getting so worn down by all of this, and all my other (financial, family, relationship) problems... Is there anything I can do?

Dear Boo
You can't do much about the Crohns except manage the flare ups - for this it is best to be under the treatment of a gastroenterologist as the treatment is not always easy to manage. With Crohns you don't have a choice - you have to use corticosteroids from time to time. Not using it will be more harmful.

I think if you still have yellow or green sputum on Avelon, you should send a sample to the lab to see if you have a resistant kind of bacteria so that they can treat it more specifically. Avelon is quite strong and should usually help. Have you given it enough time to work? It may take a few days to "kick in". Try steaming - boiling water in a bowl with a towel over your head and breathe in the steam to help loosen the phlegm. Maybe you should also take a probiotic 3 times a day to put back some of the normal bacteria in the bowel.