Question
Posted by: Mummy | 2009/04/21

Cherry lips

Hi I have been diagnosed with HIV and recently my lips are turning cherry red. I am an African so the colour looks a bit odd for my complexion. I have tried liver detox consisting of olive oil, lemon juice and honey but it hasn' t worked yet. How do I go back to my original lip colour? What causes it?

Dear Mummy
I am not sure why you have these symptoms - the red colour of the lips is caused by the colour of the blood, so if your blood is dark (due to lung problems/infections) this may influence your lipcolour. Karposi sarcoma can also cause purple or dark red lesions but this will be an area, not the whole lip. You may need to have a doctor check your lungs