Question
Posted by: Charmaine | 2009/12/09

Chemotherapy Treatment

Our dog had a a growth on his ear which was cancerous and was removed. Today he went for a scan done, blood tests etc and they found that the cancer has not spread to the body it looks like it is only in the ear. They amputated his whole ear today where the growth was. Our vet suggested that we do 2 months chemotherapy treatment after the op. But he cant give me any guarantees on side affects etc.

Im looking for a second opinion on the chemo treatment. Worried that it will make our dog very sick and may even lead to death. Could this happen?
What would your recommendations be?

Dear Charmian

Without the daignoses and current treatment it is impossible to help you. The are hundereds of different kinds of cancers and treatments.

3
Posted by: Spot' s Owner | 2009/12/12

Dear Charmaine

Chemo is not the only option to treat cancer, you can also get an opinion on radiotherapy. Ask you vet for a referral. If not able to, let me know and and I can forward you the details of the vet that specialises in this type of treatment. She is Gauteng based, I would be able to assist with details of a Western Cape contact as well.

I have gone through the same with my dog and the treatment was very successful.

Reply to Spot&#39 s Owner
Posted by: Chill | 2009/12/10

Why not get a second opinion? Your vet shouldn' t mind, and must make test results etc available to whatever other vet (maybe a specialist?) you choose to consult.

The thought does occur, of course, that although chemo may well have side effects, I bet they wouldn' t be as serious as the cancer coming back.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/12/10

Dear Charmian

Reply to Cybervet