Question
Posted by: crumpet | 2008/06/08

Chemotherapy & pregnancy

I had 6 months of chemotherapy 9 months ago. My oncologist has given me the go-ahead to try for a baby again. However I'm over 40. Can I try an IVF with my own or will I have to use donor eggs

Dear Crumpet
The question as to whether you can try IVF with your own oocytes or use donor oocytes would depend on two important things, the first thing you need to find out is if the chemotherapy has effected the ovary in producing oocytes. This can be done by a day 2 FSH level as well as a transvaginal ultrasound in assessing the number of antral follicles. In addition you have to understand that IVF in women over the age of 40 does have a much lower success rate. If you are prepared to accept a lower success rate and if you are producing follicles then you can try IVF using your own eggs.