Question
Posted by: Hopefull | 2010-01-13

Chemo &  male fertility

My fiancé  has been diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer and will be undergoing Chemo this week. This is 3 weeks from finding out he has cancer. We want to have children but with chemo there is a chance of infertility which we might face. I would like to know if things had to go that way would this be permanent or would his fertility return after some years or months,, can treatment help rectify this. Right now I' m praying that the other chance that he comes out ok (fertility wise) but need to know what we facing. Right now getting him cured is our concern but in the back of my mind I' m scared cause having a baby is all I' ve ever wanted and I' ve now found the man I want to father my children.

Hopefull

Dear Hopefull

There is a strong correlation between the use of chemotherapy and male infertility. Depending on the type of chemotherapy and the length of treatment if may certainly affect ones fertility potential for the future. I would strongly advise your fiancé that before he starts treatment he stores sperm samples and freeze it for future use in the event that his sperm gets affected when you are ready to have a baby. This is important to do before his chemotherapy begins.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-01-18

Dear Hopefull

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert